Open Source Development

Release 0.1

This release focused on the creation, management, and completion of an issue and pull request for an open source project on GitHub, more specifically the Filer file system.

 

The Process

The process for this release was to take things one step at a time, with the ability to skip some of the easiest beginning steps such as creating a GitHub account, and setting up GitHub on my machine. I used GitBash as well as the filer repository to write and test code through the use of npm tests. All testing was done through Git bash, and all code was edited/written in the Visual Studio Code IDE to check syntax and spacing errors before moving on to testing.

 

I chose to do a method I was familiar with, and had similar methods that I could use as a reference. I chose to do append as opposed to write because I knew it would be slightly more difficult, having to invoke both fs.promises version of writeFile, and appendFile, which is a choice I was happy with on this release, but will play it safe for future releases.

 

Issue Selected (Link)

The issue I selected was to add test cases for the fs.promises method, as no previous tests had existed. How I did this was by taking the existing test cases for fs.appendFile, and using those to test the fs.promises.appendFile by altering the tests to use promises. The promises methods were missing a lot of test cases, so I wanted to address this issue by creating test cases of my own.

 

Pull Request (Link)

My pull request had no problems upon creation, my test passed the Travis CI with no errors, and it was uploaded. I fixed the issue I created by adding the functionality for the tests, and making sure they worked locally before submitting a pull request

 

Reviewing Others (Link)

Of the entire assignment, I found this part to be the most difficult as it required the most thought behind it. This step involved finding an issue, becoming knowledgable about it, and then discovering what modifications/additions could be added to it, and checking that is does in fact work of course. What I did in this review was look at some of the pull requests, and scan through it as if it were my code, and slowly discovering possible modifications. In the review linked above there were no errors or additions to be made, but a possible simplification could be made just for code reading purposes. I suggested that the variable being used for fs.promises methods be named more appropriately than fs, to allow a reader to know it has promise capabilities.

 

Community Involvement

My involvement on this assignment was mainly through GitHub, and the issues/pull requests that were created by others, but also in person as well. On GitHub I was involved in the review I created above, but also by doing small things such as reading other developers solutions and ideas, and giving feedback both verbally, and by liking some of their posts. In person I worked alongside Alexander P, as we had similar issues to work through. Alexander’s issue was using readFile, and writeFile with promises, and in order to use appendFile with promises, I needed to ask him about fs.promises.writeFile.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s