Bad News First: Keras Bot Development

Update On Last Week

I am a firm believer in the philosophy of bad news first, so with that being said, there is no large pull request as promised. I made an error on my side and had the directories flipped with their respective checks, and only had realized this when creating the first pull request. By the time I got to this and pulled the changes to be the same as the keras master, the few existing problems had been fixed.

With that being said I moved on to fixing my previous PR for the keras bot and implemented some cool features.

Bot Link

In this update the comment is written using summary and detail tags in markdown to display error messages in drop down menus of file names. Additionally I updated some of the functionality and reduced the code.

Screen Shot 2019-03-29 at 12.05.39 PM 1

One of the requested changes was to use f strings in Python which I was unfamiliar with, but was quick to learn its power. F strings work with direct substitution within a string rather than using concatenation and type conversion.

Regular String

Screen Shot 2019-03-29 at 12.09.54 PM

F String

Screen Shot 2019-03-29 at 12.10.39 PM

What Next?

Moving forward from here, I looked through the issues in the keras repository for something to work on, however a lot of issues are created by users and are not “real issues” so to speak. In an effort to filter this, I searched by author, starting with Gabriel. I quickly found one that caught my eye. This issue involves using the bot again, however for a different purpose. This issue deals with documentation changes, with a problem being it is difficult to see changes in the documentation purely in the code of a pull request. With this issue in mind, this bots purpose will be to build the documentation if it was changed, and then render the html in a pdf and display in the comments so it is easier to see the changes made.

I feel confident in taking on this issue as I am now familiar with PyGithub and dealing with pull requests and comments. I think this will be a good challenge as it will involve learning and setting up Docker, which is needed to use athenapdf, the tool which converts html to pdf.

Closing Thoughts

While not everything went as planned and I did make an error, I kept my head up high and continued to look forward for things to work on, and previous fixes to be made, I am currently awaiting feedback on the pull request changes, but am hopeful!

Until next time…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s